Archive

Archive for June 5th, 2004

usb-xboxir and mythtv

June 5th, 2004 Comments off

The setup of MythTV continues. Everything is working quite well, now I’m just tweaking. I turned down the recording quality a bit, since the xbox can’t quite keep up with the default high quality. It ends up looking *better* on the tv, since there is no more tearing. The picture has a couple more mpeg artifacts, but I think that’s a good tradeoff.

The next thing was to get the xbox remote working properly. The default version of the usb-xboxir kernel module is buggy. There is a double input problem when you press a button sometimes. There is a patch, xboxir-autorepeat.patch to fix that though. It works great. Here is what I ran in GentooX to apply this patch (originally figured it out from here) :

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/
wget http://www.delgul.demon.nl/xbox/xboxir-autorepeat.patch
patch < xboxir-autorepeat.patch

Then, I edited usb-xboxir.h with my own mappings for the remote control. My patch file can be found here. It can be applied in the same manner as the first patch:

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/
wget http://kje.ca/docs/xboxir-mythtvkeymap.patch
patch < xboxir-autorepeat.patch

Now, I'm fairly sure that I didn't make the patch file in a great way, but it worked. Let me know a better way, and I'll update it. Anyways, I then built the module, copied it over, and loaded it:

cd /usr/src/linux
make modules
cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/usb-xboxir.o /lib/modules/2.4.22-xbox/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-xboxir.o
(that above line could be make modules_install, but I wanted
to make sure I only installed the new usb-xboxir.o modules and nothing else)
rmmod usb-xboxir
modprobe usb-xboxir

That’s it! I actually did this all with mythfrontend running, and started using my xbox remote right away. It works great!

Categories: General